Role & Powers of Odisha State Food Commission in Grievance Redressal Mechanism:
The State Food Commission is established with the objective of monitoring and evaluating the implementation of the National Food Security Act, 2013 under Section 16 of the Act;
- Organise regional camps for buildings awareness about benefits and entitlements under the Act and define measures of redressal of grievance;
- advising the state governments and their various agencies and enquiring into violations of entitlements;
- Inspect or cause to be inspected, the non-compliance of policy decisions of the Government relating to the Act;
- the State Food Commission also act as the appellate authority for District Grievance Redressal Officers. It takes up appeal against the orders of the District Grievance Redressal Officer. Any person aggrieved by the Order of DGRO may appeal to the State Food Commission.
- The State Food Commission either suo motu or on receipt of Complaint inquire into violations of entitlements provided under Chapter II of the NFSA, 2013.During inquiry the Commission has powers of Civil Courts.
- Any public servant or authority, if found guilty of failing to comply with the relief recommended by the DGRO, without reasonable cause, or willfully ignoring such recommendation may be fined up to Rs. 5,000 by the State Food Commission.
- The decision of the State Food Commission shall be final in all matters related to the non-distribution of food grains and matters relating thereto.
- The State Food Commission has the power forward any case to a Magistrate having jurisdiction to try the same.